Saturday, June 05, 2010

A Ballet of Blossoms


Peachy Petals - Lynda Lehmann c 2009

Watch the petals of irises sway, billow and gently gesture in the breeze. It's like watching a ballet: the dance of sweet spring air over translucent sheaths of brilliant color, orchestrated interplay of air, color, and light....
Irises may be my favorite flower, for their intricate, sculptural forms, whose graceful spatial relationships flourish in 3-D. I think they're much more interesting than tulips, for example, whose colors are just as beautiful but whose petals form a more symmetric and predictable, cup-like structure. As with the process when I paint, I enjoy variety and a few surprises!


The closer I move with my eye or my view through the camera, the more I see of the fantastic architecture of the flower kingdom.
What's your favorite flower?

This article is re-posted from "Peripheral Vision" at www.innersights.blogspot.com.

No comments: