Saturday, December 11, 2010

Serendipity is Nature's Generosity

Lamb's Ears - Image c Lynda Lehmann


I've been wanting to get back to painting, because painting is my first love.  I had promised myself that my next post would be about pigment instead of pixels.  But nature intervened and threw me a curve.  

I had all but given up on finding anything pixel-worthy on my walk today, when I stumbled upon these dried "Lamb's Ears" plants (as a friend of mine calls them).  They are just slightly wilted from the cold, which has been intense for a December on Long Island.  But their light gray-green color was outstanding against the auburn of dried, fallen leaves.

It's sometimes hard to find subjects to shoot on suburban streets, unless one comes across a wooded area or something at the very edge of the street. In order to respect people's privacy, or should I say their feelings about privacy, I never point my camera towards a house.  That's why I so enjoy getting out of the neighborhood to the larger outdoor spaces with my camera.  Not only is there usually more to shoot, but I feel free to point my camera in any direction.

Nature came through again today, with a subject that I feel holds a good deal of beauty and mystery.  I've seen this cluster of plants in the same location before, but today the light was right and the colors just popped! Whenever I take in a scene or object of beauty, I feel rich. So today held a tiny bit of serendipity for me.

I hope you found beauty and a touch of serendipity in your day, as well!  
  

Reposted from Peripheral Vision blog.  All images and text  are copyrighted material, and may be used only with written permission (email is okay) by the author/artist, except where syndication rights have been granted. All other rights reserved. Please visit my primary art site at http://www.lehmann.myexpose.com/gallery if you would like to see my paintings and more of my photography and digital art!

3 comments:

Heather Foust said...

What a gorgoeus photo. The colors are amazing!

Literalia said...

First, I want to sincerely thank your visit to my blog Literalia Mexico. Then I read your words carefully in the post and I think we have a similar life philosophy.
I beseech you to accept that post in my blog, an article about your art.
My audience has expanded from America to Europe and elsewhere.
Please do not discard this request.
With respect and admiration:
Arturo Juarez Muñoz

Literalia said...

I still waiting for your answer.